Experiencing unexpected behaviors on eBird Mobile? You've come to the right place. Please read the sections below before contacting us for help.
Is it a bug?
Some behaviors of eBird Mobile are expected. These include:
- Checklists submitted from other devices and eBird.org will not "sync" with your device (learn more)
- You can only share checklists through eBird Mobile before they are submitted
- You must upload photos or sound recordings through the eBird website (here's how to upload media from your phone)
Error submitting checklist
track.distanceM must be less than or equal to 99999.9
This error message appears when an eBird Mobile GPS track is longer than 100km (62 mi). If the GPS track is incorrect you can adjust the start and endpoints. Otherwise, delete the GPS track and re-enter the distance information. Note that very long traveling checklists are not as useful for science and may be hidden from public outputs (learn more about our rules and best practices for traveling counts).
If the issue you are experiencing is not listed above, please continue with the troubleshooting steps below.
1. Update the app
The latest version of eBird Mobile will often contain fixes to known "bugs" in previous versions. Before troubleshooting further, first make sure you are using the most recent version of the app.
To update the app: Open the appropriate link below using your mobile device -
- iOS devices: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ebird/id988799279
- Android devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.cornell.birds.ebird
How do I know which version I have?
To tell whether you have the latest version of the app, compare your eBird Mobile version to the most recent version published in the App Store or Google Play (links above). Here's where to look for your app version:
- iOS devices: tap "More" - the three dots in the bottom right corner of eBird Mobile. Your version will be printed at the bottom of that page.
- Android devices: tap the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of eBird Mobile. Your version is displayed at the bottom of the sidebar that appears.
If you are experiencing...
- "NSURLErrorDomain error"
- "Error submitting checklist"
- "Offline-you do not have network access"
- Packs cannot be found or downloaded for your area
- Cannot log into the app after password change
- App crashes when trying to choose a location
Updating to the latest version of the app using the links above should resolve the issue. If it does not, continue with the troubleshooting steps below.
2. Consider device-related issues
Several known behaviors of the app are associated with the hardware or software of your device. These include:
- Not having "Location Services" turned on for iOS devices (learn more about Location Services)
- Unable to obtain a GPS signal without wifi because your mobile device does not have a built-in GPS device (usually only experienced by tablets and iPads)
GPS accuracy issues:
If you find eBird Mobile tracks and "Auto selected" locations do not reflect your actual location, it may be related to your phone's GPS performance.
Several things may affect your device's GPS accuracy including: reception, wifi strength, satellite availability, and - most importantly - your device's built-in GPS unit.
Always verify your location and track are correct before submitting a checklist.
- You can select or change your checklist's location at any time by tapping the location name at the top of the checklist (next to "Hide"). Choose the "Map" tab to see where your checklist is currently plotted, and select a new location if necessary.
- Edit or delete the GPS track before submitting if it does not accurately reflect your route
At the moment, observed variation in GPS accuracy appears to be device and situation-specific, and therefore not something we can easily fix within eBird Mobile.
3. Contact us
Follow Steps 1-2 above before contacting us for assistance with eBird Mobile. Following the instructions below will ensure a more timely solution to your problem.
Describe the problem in a reproducible manner
For most errors, we cannot develop solutions until we can re-create them. When contacting us, it is extremely important to describe the problem with enough detail that we could get the same results. This usually means describing your entire process, step by step, before encountering the error, as well as any troubleshooting measures you've already taken.
If you are encountering an unexpected behaviors or error messages, a screenshot is often the best way to communicate the problem. Please include screenshots whenever possible.
Include device information
In addition to screenshots and a detailed description of the problem, also include:
- Your device make, model, and operating system version
- Your eBird Mobile version number (see above for where to find it)
Send us a note
Send a fully detailed description of the problem, screenshots, and device information to our Help Center.
Remember: we will not be able to help you effectively until we fully understand the problem. Please be as detailed as possible in your initial message. Thank you!
Tufted Titmouse by Fran Meyerson/Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab (ML223316221)