How do I find Merlin Bird ID in the App Store?
While on your iPhone/iPad, go to this link to download the app. If you still can’t see the app, or if there is no “purchase” or “download” button, here are several possible causes.
One possibility is that you have an iPad and the App Store is only showing you iPad apps. (Note: Merlin DOES work on iPad Mini and iPad, as long as the operating system is iOS7 or higher, but it is classified as an “iPhone only” app.) If that is what’s happening, you can tap in the upper right corner of the App Store app, or iTunes App Store on your desktop, to display iPhone and iPad apps.
Another possibility is that you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch that is running an older version of the Apple operating system (iOS 5 or 6). Merlin Bird ID only works correctly on iOS7 or higher. If you have an older version of iOS then the App Store will not display apps that require the current operating system.
You can check your iOS version by going to Settings => General => About and looking at the version number. The version number will look something like this: 7.1.1. If that first number is a “7” or larger then you have iOS 7 or larger. If you have a 5 or 6, then you will need to update your iOS in order to use Merlin. To update your iOS, just go to Settings => General => Software Update.
How do I install the app for the first time on the App Store or Play Store?
Apple Devices (iPhone, iPad)
- Click the “App Store” icon on the home screen of your Apple device. Use the icons at the bottom of the screen to browse categories of apps. If you’re looking for free apps for your iPhone, select “Top 25” and then tap the “Top Free” tab at the top of the screen. Tap “Featured” at the bottom of the screen to see the apps the App Store is promoting for the week. If you know the name of an app, click “Search” at the bottom of the screen and type the name into the search bar that appears.
- Tap the icon for any app that interests you to reach additional information about the app, including developer notes, screen shots and user ratings.
- Select the app you’ve decided to download by tapping the button that contains the word “Free.” The App Store prompts you for your Apple ID. If you don’t have one, follow the onscreen instructions to acquire one. An Apple ID is required to download apps to your Apple device.
Note: You probably already have an Apple ID from when you bought your Apple device, but if not, you’ll be prompted to register. Registration will include Apple asking for a credit card number. Merlin is free so there will not be a charge, but this step is required to set up an Apple ID for iTunes.
- Watch the download status bar that appears under the new icon on your device. Once it is complete, you can access your new app.
While on your Android device, click here to download the app. Tap “Install” to complete the process.
Alternatively, on your Android device, go to the Play Store app. Tap the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner. Type “Merlin Bird ID” into the search bar and tap on the magnifying glass in the lower right corner of the keyboard to start the search. Find “Merlin Bird ID” in the results list and then tap “Install.”
If you are unable to find the app in the Play Store, it may be that your device does not support Merlin. Merlin runs on Android mobile operating systems 4 or higher. You can check for your Android operating system version by going to: Settings > About the Phone/Device.
How do I update Merlin?
Apple Devices (iPhone, iPad)
On some Apple devices, it is automatic. The first thing to try is to follow this link on your iPhone or iPad, or navigate to the Merlin Bird ID page in the App Store. If you already have the newest version, the button should say “Open.” If you need to upgrade it will say “Update.”
If your operating system is pre-iOS 13, another thing to try is to go to the “Updates” tab in the lower right and see if Merlin is listed there. If so, you can tap the “Update” button to get the latest version.
If your operating systems is iOS 13 or higher, tap the small circular profile photo in the top right corner of the App Store home page. Scroll down to see if there are any apps under the "Update" button
On some devices, it is automatic. To check, follow the directions below:
- Open the Google Play Store app .
- Tap Menu My apps & games.
- Apps with an update available are labeled "Update." You can also search for a specific app.
- Tap Update.
How do I gift Merlin Bird ID through the App Store?
Open the App Store app on your iOS device. Search for “Merlin Bird ID” in the App Store. Click on the Share button in the upper right corner. The Share options window appears with a new icon in the lower right called Gift. Tap on the Gift icon.
You’ll be prompted for your Apple ID password, and you may be required to confirm your payment type. You’ll then be asked to enter the email address of your gift recipient and a personal message if you wish to include one.
Select the date you want your gifted app to be sent and a color theme for the gift. Confirm your gift, and then tap on the Buy Gift button to send it on its merry way.
Why doesn't Merlin work on my Android device?
Merlin runs on Android mobile operating systems 4 or higher. If your operating system is lower than 4, you will need to update your operating system in order to be able to use Merlin.
Can I move the app to SD storage?
Yes. You will need to toggle two settings: one in the Android Settings app and one in the Merlin app itself. In Settings, tap "Apps", then search for Merlin Bird ID. Tap "App permissions" and then turn on "Storage." Then, in Merlin, tap the Menu icon in the top left and select "Settings". Tap "Content storage" and choose the SD card. This will ensure that both the app itself and the internal Bird Pack data are moved onto the SD card.